As children, we were programmed by our environment and life circumstances. We literally became an extension of the beliefs and habits of those who raised us and others who had influence over us- unfortunately this included the crap that was playing on the TV, etc! So, we became who we are now, not by choice, but due to the strongest influences around us when we were young and impressionable.
Now, as an adult with a brain of our own, we see people living many different versions of life. Rich, poor, intelligent, not so bright, happy, sad, angry, jealous…. you name it and we’ve seen it all. And it doesn’t take much for us to understand that many different ‘lives’ are available when it comes to how we could be spending our time. So naturally, if life is not working out for us as we hoped, we are wanting to know, “Can I Turn My Life Around?”
Can I Turn My Life Around? (Yes, You Have It Within You To Make A Life Better!)
You have it within you to turn your life around because you are probably not as messed up as you think you are! And when you stop believing you are a victim of your upbringing, your education, or any other ‘reason,’ you will stop making decisions based on trying to move away from stuff you don’t like (poverty, abuse, fear, etc.) Instead, you can begin choosing intentional thoughts and actions that will propel you towards that which you do desire, like love, success, health, wealth, and happiness.
You Already Have What It Takes Within You To Make Your Life Better!
We can choose to remain a victim of our early life programming and everything we consider wrong with us….. OR, we can imagine, and then set about creating, better lives for ourselves.
Imagining something better than the lives we are currently living is the first step to breaking out of the prison of mediocrity that most of us exist within. Our imagination allows us to visualize lots of different scenarios and weed out the undesirable ones, without actually having had to live them. This is great as it allows us to more clearly define the direction we want to turn our lives around too.
Within our imagination is the freedom to choose. Here we can begin creating the person we wish to become, complete with all the details. And the more clearly we can imagine our desired life, including our home circumstances, our family and friends, our ideal work situation, our improved confidence, success, wealth, etc…. the easier we will be able to achieve them. And yes, you can achieve this better life that you dream of for yourselves….. but it will require you to change ‘away from’ the unwanted aspects of your current lives.
If you are willing to let go of the undesirables character traits of yourself, and the unwanted circumstances of your current life, then read on to learn how you can begin turning your life around, beginning today…… because once we have imagined our new lives the way we want them to be, we can set out to make it our reality. And then, the only thing that can stop us is US….. our lack of will, courage, determination, perseverance, conviction……
This is where you need to ask yourself, “How badly do I want to improve my life….. for me, and for those that I love?”
Here are THE BEST WAYS to help you turn your life around, starting NOW!
An honest evaluation of who you currently are and how you are living your life will reveal lots of opportunities for positive change that will help you turn your life around beginning immediately. This will include:
1) How likely are you to make plans and then carry through with your decisions? Because there is a big difference between ‘just thinking about’ and ‘actually doing’ what it takes to improve your life.
Just thinking about learning a new skill, getting a second job, taking a night class, standing up to the bully, exercising regularly, etc. will get you nowhere! It will, however, ensure that your life continues pretty much the same as it is now…. remember, the one you keep saying you want to improve????
Taking action, on the other hand, will ensure results. To begin with, we don’t need to change huge aspects of our lives all at once. But change, by definition, requires that we do something. Why not begin now by identifying something you have wanted for a while, and working out how YOU CAN ACHIEVE IT!
“We are all faced with a series of great opportunities brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.” — Chuck Swindoll
2) Another easy way to begin may be to get rid of your two worst friends.…. You know, the ones who never support you because they’re always busy putting themselves and their problems first?
It’s said that we are the average of the 5 people we hang out with the most. What does your current group of friends tell you about who you are? What could you become like if you upgraded the groups of people you hung out with the most? Imagine if they had already achieved the things you say you want and are living the type of lifestyle you desire for yourself?
Choice: My friends, groups, and workmates are keeping me stuck at this level where I’m not happy with some aspects of my life….. OR, some new friends, new groups, and a better work environment where I am being pulled up to a higher level… one that aligns with my desires for a better life for myself????? Umm, think about it! (It’s not a trick question.)
3) Take care of your health, mentally, emotionally, and physically, daily. It goes without saying that when we are ‘well-tuned’ we are better able, in all ways, to first recognize and then take advantage of opportunities as they come our way.
Being tuned up mentally may mean studying something every day that relates to the direction you want to be heading. You may have to upgrade some knowledge so you will get a promotion, retrain so you can change careers, or take a course in ‘how to communicate with the opposite sex’ so you can learn how to attract your perfect partner.
A definition for Emotional Fitness given on TonyRobinsfirewalk.com includes “… being resilient, positive and focused. It means you can change your mindset from angry, anxious, or sad and instead focus on constructive emotions and tasks. Ultimately, you’re able to bounce right back and continue on your journey even stronger than you were before.”
This will require that we learn to behave differently within our environment so we can achieve better outcomes. And it all begins with the way we treat ourselves.
And I’m sure there is no need to explain the benefits of being in a healthy body… everything looks, tastes, smells, sounds, and feels better when the vehicle we are ‘inhabiting’ for our experience is properly tuned to take full advantage of our experience.
4) Evaluate how you are spending your time…. A good dose of self-honesty will let us know if the hours we spend on social media, playing video games, or watching reality TV are really benefiting us by bringing us closer to attaining our goals or not. I suspect that, if you are like 99% of people on the planet, then these activities are a large contributor to keeping you stuck where you are. And if this is the case, they are preventing you from turning your life around towards achieving better outcomes.
So….. turn the stuff off…. or at least limit the amount of time you are wasting every day on them. Instead, do stuff that will lead you to achieve the better life you desire…… Think about it…. it’s a no-brainer…. Continue doing stuff that doesn’t lead to your goals and dream being realized AND YOU WILL NEVER ACHIEVE THEM….. Do stuff that adds benefit to your desired outcomes, and you are winning! What do you choose?
“Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” — Mahatma Gandhi
5) Let go of the parts of you that believe you are somehow unworthy to enjoy a great life! A better life means you want to be feeling better as well as rolling in gold and surrounded by loving and successful people, right? And feeling better means there is no room for anger, fear, hate, jealousy, guilt, regret, and limiting beliefs.
So, you have to let these things go…. Because they do not belong in your ‘better life.’
Do you know when the absolute best time to let them go is?…… it’s now, at this very moment…… yeah I know, but he did that to you 10 years ago, and she said that about your mother last week, and you failed when you tried this before, and…….
You know, we’ve ALL got stuff from our past that we can use as an excuse to keep us trapped in the past. And while we may think that some of it is a good excuse why we can’t move into a better life, it’s not….. All of it is what it is…. Excuses that we give ourselves because we are not willing to do what it takes to move from where we are to where we want to be!
“My scars remind me that I did indeed survive my deepest wounds. That in itself is an accomplishment. And they bring to mind something else, too. They remind me that the damage life has inflicted on me has, in many places, left me stronger and more resilient. What hurt me in the past has actually made me better equipped to face the present.” — Steve Goodier
6) Learning to say ‘NO’ is imperative for your success. You, your life, and your wellbeing should be the top priority for you. This does not mean you treat everyone else badly, but instead, you treat others with the respect and compassion that you should also reserve for yourself.
However, it does mean that YOU KNOW YOU ARE ON YOUR LIFES QUEST TO ACHIEVE YOUR DREAMS. And you should afford everyone else the same opportunity. Therefore, don’t allow them to waste your time or discourage you from your newfound purpose…… learn to say no more often to others so that you get to say yes to pursuing your own goals and dreams more often.
There are many other things I can add to this list, but I fear it will soon become a novel. So I will make another post soon and link it at the bottom of this one if you wish to read more of my thoughts on making a better life for yourself.
If you’re still struggling to turn your life around…
I would like to finish with a few more points worth considering:
– Anyone who has achieved anything significant in one or more areas of their life will tell you that they had to overcome obstacles, failures, disappointment, and heartbreak among other trials…… But they can also tell you how they pieced these broken bits together to form the stepping stones that led to their success. Maybe, overcoming the ‘stuff’ that you believe is currently holding you back is the very EXPERIENCE you need to get you to where you want to be!
– You cannot change if you are not ready to let go of the known and familiar things that you have built your current life around. This is because The Law of Attraction gives us more of what we are focusing our attention on. So, in essence, we become ‘more’ of what we think about and do habitually. And these habits can be difficult to break. However it is possible, and to learn how, you can check out my post What Is The Best Way To Change My Life?
– If you continually find ways to improve your skills and your attitude, you will always be sought after for employment, and good people will always want to be in your company. So stop complaining, learn to listen for what people want and need (opportunities), and contribute in a way that makes a difference in other people’s lives, and then YOU TOO WILL BE REWARDED WITH A WONDERFUL LIFE EXPERIENCE.
I wish you all the best,