The more conscious we are at any moment, the more power we have to ‘shape’ OUR reality to conform to OUR wants, wishes, hopes, goals, and desires. In other words, living consciously is exciting, and rewarding, because we are actively thinking about, and working towards, achieving the stuff WE consider will fulfill us.
The alternative to this is ‘normal life’ where we are living on auto-pilot for most of the time we are awake. This is where we live out our lives conforming to predictable patterns and habits that we have acquired over time, which require very little conscious or original thought. Living on auto-pilot is not exciting, not stimulating, and definitely not fulfilling!
So, if you want your life to be fantastic, fulfilling, abundant with love and joy, and lots of other good stuff, you’ll need to become consciously ‘present’ more often!
So, what is conscious living all about? It’s about becoming more aware in the moment, IN THIS MOMENT, (the only moment we can affect) as current awareness allows us to make the BEST POSSIBLE DECISIONS and TAKE THE MOST APPROPRIATE ACTIONS to ACHIEVE THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOMES.
How do I achieve better outcomes in my life?
All it takes to make dramatic improvements in the quality of our lives is to BECOME MORE AWARE, MORE OFTEN! You don’t have to pay millions of dollars, donate an organ, or even sacrifice a child! You just need to actively engage your minds to think about what is happening NOW, what you are doing NOW, and how that makes you feel NOW.
Does this sound like something you can do? Yes, it is, and you can start now! But I have to tell you that it is not something that you can achieve instantly. This is because your magnificent mind is already conditioned to operate a certain way, and it is comfortable operating this way. Our minds will therefore require some ‘gentle persuasion’ to encourage them to change tactics to allow us to utilize THE POWER THAT BEING PRESENT IN THE MOMENT brings.
I’m talking about the power to take control of our lives so that we will, with conscious effort, achieve our goals and dreams. It’s a journey of self-discovery that we will need to embark on as there is no quick fix when it comes to changing our subconscious programming. OUR LIVES ARE THE JOURNEY, and it’s made up of all the steps along the way, and it never ends.
There is no fixed destination point, so there is no hurry to ‘arrive’ anywhere! The direction we go, (our goals) is our choice, and it’s a sensible choice to enjoy the whole journey, all the small steps along the way, that will get us to where we want to go.
Where is it that I want to go?
I think it’s a no brainer that most of us really, really, really, want to achieve certain stuff in our lives. It could be as simple as wanting to win a running race at the local sports club, buying our first house, or meeting a great person and falling in love. Others may dream of building their own company, owning a super yacht, or attaining financial freedom.
Different dreams require that we think different thoughts and take different actions. However, not all of us will achieve our goals. So, what determines our overall success compared to someone else?
We may talk about or dream about being wealthy, but does this make being wealthy a goal that we are ‘consciously’ working
towards? Are we already taking conscious steps in our daily lives to make our desires a future reality? Or is it just something we say in passing without any real drive, emotion, or actions attached to the idea?
To set our magnificent minds into action to work for us, we need to set clear goals and then bring our conscious thoughts and conscious actions into alignment with our goals.
How can I practice becoming more consciously aware?
We don’t need to be conscious about everything at all times…. (For now, we can leave this to the monks who live in the snowy mountains in Tibet, or caves in India). But being conscious more of the time can enhance our lives in so many ways that we may currently not be aware of.
Let’s try a simple exercise, to try and make this point, using our immediate environment.
Most of the time, we think we are familiar with our surroundings, but have you ever really just stopped and taken a moment to become REALLY AWARE of all your senses when sitting outside in your garden (for example)? (You can even do this sitting where you are now if there is nothing else fighting for your attention.)
- Sit with your eyes closed, and listen to all the nearby sounds for a few moments. What do you hear that is new or that you haven’t paid attention to before?
- Now move your attention to sounds that are further away. Just notice the sounds, there’s no need to think about what’s happening. How far away can you stretch your awareness?
- What about your sense of feeling? Can you feel the sun, wind, or rain on your body? Are you covered in clothes, and what do they feel like on different parts of your skin…. Tight, warm, or maybe itchy?
- Your eyes are closed, but you may still get impressions of colors, images, or moving specks of light, and geometric shapes. Are they warm, cold, heavy, light, fun, or annoying?….. Just notice them, you don’t need to understand them. How do you feel?
- How are you breathing? Is it relaxed, forced, more in one nostril or the other? Where do you notice it the most, the rising of your chest, your belly moving in and out, or can you feel the air passing in and out of the tip of your nostrils?
- What smells are you able to detect? Are the flowers out, is the neighbor cooking, are you near the sea and can smell the salt air? Just become aware, without judgment.
Becoming conscious provides us with a lot more relevant information about ourselves, our environment, and about others we are interacting with. Relevant information is the key to making the best possible choices at any given moment.
How will conscious living improve my life?
So, by doing the above exercise, did you notice anything about your immediate environment that you have previously been unaware of?
From now on, we can use our developing awareness to begin to change the direction our life is heading, to CONSCIOUSLY steer ourselves in the direction we want to go.
There is one thing for sure, and that is: If we continue doing the things we did that got us here, our life is not going to change, and it will be impossible to achieve our goals and dreams. TO ACHIEVE A DIFFERENT OUTCOME, WE NEED TO CHANGE WHAT WE ARE DOING, AND THE MORE CONSCIOUS WE ARE ABOUT THE THOUGHTS WE HAVE, AND THE ACTIONS WE TAKE, THE MORE LIKELY WE ARE TO ACHIEVE OUR GOALS.
How do I begin implementing conscious living into my daily life?
Consciously living is living with an awareness of whatever it is we are doing in the moment.
- We may be taking a break and just relaxing. Become aware of what thoughts are going through your mind? Are you thinking about something that you are choosing to think about, or are random thoughts just passing through? Typically, unconscious thoughts are about the past or future, and are more often than not, a repeat of thought we have had many times before. Do these thoughts support your goals for a better life? If not, maybe it’s time to consciously choose different thoughts.
- Have you consciously set goals for yourself that you really, really, want to achieve, or do you just live life day by day and hope for the best? If you have goals, are your thoughts and actions supporting you in achieving these goals, or is your mind unfocused and sabotaging your dreams?
- When we are bored or unchallenged it is easy to slip into auto-pilot mode (unconscious thinking.) So, to remain conscious we can choose to be doing activities we really enjoy or learn new skills and information that we have not been exposed to before. If the mind is challenged or enthusiastic, we will remain conscious. Interestingly, the number one activity for people to remain conscious is engaging in sex! Great idea! Other good ideas may include talking with a close friend, surfing when the waves are big, walking the dog in a different neighborhood, cooking something new, and then enjoying all the sensations when eating it.
- We can become more conscious of our bodies. Is there any tension in my body now? Where is it and is there an obvious reason why it’s there? What does it feel like, and if I focus my awareness on this area, can I consciously will it to relax? (Yes you can.)
- Become more aware of the decisions you make in your daily life. I.e. if you are saving money for a house deposit, does it help you reach your goal if you are out every night having a few drinks with friends? Is it a conscious decision to go to the pub and drink, or is it an unconscious habit? Is this habit helping you achieve your goals for a better future? What are you going to do about it? (or how serious are you about achieving your goals?)
So, what to do next?
Every day we have many choices available to us. Most of them we make unconsciously, by default, based on our past conditioning and habits. These habits got us to where we are now, and they are not able to help you achieve the new goals and dreams you may have set for yourself.
New desires and goals require the input of new ideas and new ways of acting and reacting in the world. We have to change what we are doing to change the results we are getting. The first and most important step to doing this is to begin conscious living more of the time!
Take some time to consciously think about your life as it is now, and how you want your future to be. Writing it down often helps to make your vision clear, and reviewing it often will help cement the goals into your minds.
Setting goals is a crucial step that requires conscious attention to detail. For without a defined direction to work towards, without knowing what we want, we will never be able to achieve it!
Constantly review what you are doing, and how you are feeling. Is what you are doing now leading you closer to achieving your goals? (Will this extra chocolate help me lose the extra ten pounds that I’m carrying or not?) If not, what is the reason for you wanting to eat it? Consciously think about your habits, because if you don’t, they will defeat you because your mind is just replaying your ‘go-to’ previously programmed responses. Your unconscious mind can do nothing else. The unconscious mind cannot think for itself and just like a computer is running a set of programs. So, if you want different outcomes in your life, you have to invest time into reprogramming your mind!
There is no ‘quick fix’ but there are awesome tools available to help us achieve our goals and dreams.
As I said at the beginning of this article, there is no instant fix that will allow us to become super conscious all the time. However, recently some technologies have become available that allow us to DIRECTLY reprogram our subconscious minds to support our desires for better life outcomes.
When our subconscious is reprogrammed with abundance and wealth-building ideas, thoughts of gratitude, self-love and appreciation, etc. these beliefs will filter through and become the new thoughts that are prevalent when we are unconsciously moving through our day. So even if we are living in auto-pilot mode, our new beliefs will be supporting our goals and dreams for a better future.
These technologies include ‘Brainwave Entrainment’ courses that plant new beliefs directly into our subconscious minds by way of subliminal messages embed within audio tracks. I use and love this technology because it is currently the quickest way to reprogram ourselves to achieve any goals we may have. We may just want to quit smoking, become more confident, or super-wealthy, it doesn’t matter what our goals are, the truth remains that: If you haven’t already achieved your goals, or making steady and significant progress towards them, your subconscious mind is harboring beliefs that are preventing you from achieving them.
The only solution that will work is to upgrade our current unconscious beliefs so that they align with the new life we wish to create for ourselves.
For more information on how these technologies have worked for me and can work for you, you can check out a couple of my previous posts here:
I wish you all the best on your journey and hope you realize that you have the power to choose the direction you want your life to take. You can have more wealth, better friends, a fantastic career, live in the house of your dreams, or anything else you desire. It is only our subconscious beliefs that reveal themselves as unconscious thoughts that have been holding us back, and if we take the necessary steps to change our minds, we will change our lives!
With love and respect to all beings playing the game of life,